If you want to lose fat quickly and easily, the keto diet can help. With keto, you cut your carb intake to 50 grams or less per day, which forces your body to burn more fat. However, your body needs more than fat for some of its processes, so it turns some fat into a source of energy it can use – ketones.
Ketones are what give the keto diet its name, and once your body is using ketones for energy, you are said to be in ketosis.
You’ll not only burn fat and lose weight in ketosis. You will also find you have lots of energy, no hunger or cravings, and have a clearer mind too. But how do you know you are in ketosis?
Some people rely on ketone strips to check if they are in ketosis. But these strips are not especially accurate and involve testing your urine, which may not be convenient or pleasant. Other keto dieters use blood tests, but that means pricking your finger, which can be painful and comes with a risk of infecting too.
More accurate than keto sticks and easier to use than blood tests, keto breathalyzers are a convenient, viable option for anyone who wants to know if they are in ketosis.
What is Ketonix?
When fat is converted into ketones, your body releases acetone. Acetone is a type of ketone, but it can’t be used for energy. Acetone is excreted in your urine, and also exhaled in your breath. It’s acetone that gives your breath it’s slightly fruity odor during the ketogenic diet.
More acetone means your body is producing more ketones. More ketones mean you are burning fat at an accelerated rate.
The Ketonix is a Swedish-made keto analyzer that detects ketones in your breath. Not much bigger than a Sharpie pen, Ketonix contains a removable rechargeable battery and the device links via Bluetooth to most smart devices.
How to use the Ketonix Breath Analyzer
To make sure you get accurate readings from Ketonix, it must be used correctly. Firstly, make sure the device is fully charged. According to the manufacturer, Ketonix is shipped with very little battery power, so it requires a long charge before using it.
It’s supplied with a USB cable, so just connect the Ketonix to a suitable power outlet until fully charged. It can also be used while charging, but, obviously, it’s not so portable when plugged into a power outlet.
To use Ketonix, download and start up the app (Ketonix Go) and create your profile. Then, when you are ready, pair your smart device with your Ketonix breath analyzer.
Once paired, select the measure tab on the app, and, when the device indicates it is ready, exhale into the Ketonix mouthpiece. According to the manufacturer, the highest concentration of ketones is found at the bottom of your lungs. This means you must exhale fully to get the most accurate result. This can take some practice, but once mastered, exhaling fully will make your results more accurate and consistent.
Your results are displayed on your app in parts per million and on an easy to read “speedometer” display. You can then compare your most recent reading with previous tests, which is useful for spotting trends and measuring your progress.
The Ketonix breath analyzer has several useful advantages and benefits:
- Non-invasive – no need to take blood or test your urine.
- Easy to use – once you perfect exhaling fully, using the Ketonix is as easy as blowing into a tube.
- Portable – with its rechargeable battery, you can test your ketones almost anywhere and anytime. This makes tracking your ketone levels much more straightforward than using keto sticks or a keto blood tester. You can even take it with you while traveling.
- Can be used by more than one person – supplied with an extra mouthpiece, you can set up several profiles per unit so that your family and friends can also track their ketones. This is a useful feature for families following the keto diet together.
- Nothing to replace or restock – with blood ketone monitors, you will need to keep buying additional lancets as these needles should not be reused. This can become expensive. There is nothing to replace or restock with Ketonix, which means there are no ongoing or reoccurring costs.
- Comes as a complete kit – the Ketonix breath analyzer contains everything you need to track your ketones. The kit includes: 1 x Ketonix device, 1 x USB cable, 1 x rechargeable battery, 1 x extra mouthpiece, and 1 x zipper case. Instructions are available via a free-to-download PDF.
- Backed by a very comprehensive website – all the information you need about Ketonix and the keto diet can be found at www.ketonix.com.
- 12-month warranty – Ketonix will replace any defective devices and also offer servicing for purchases outside this period.
The Ketonix breath analyzer might be compact and easy to use. However, there are still a few things you need to consider before purchasing.
- Takes five minutes to warm up before use – you’ll need to remember to power your device up before testing your ketones. If you don’t, your readings will not be accurate.
- Concerns over accuracy – while increased levels of acetone are a good indicator that your ketone levels are elevated, the relationship between exhaled and blood ketones is not linear. Ketonix only measures acetone and not the other types of ketones produced during ketosis. The only way to measure all types of ketones is by using a keto blood monitor.
- Inconsistent results – some users have reported that their readings varied from one test to the next, even if they did them close together. However, this may because they didn’t exhale fully each time.
- Cost – Ketonix is quite expensive, especially when compared to keto testing strips, which only cost a few dollars. It costs about the same as a comparable keto blood testing monitor.
If you want to know your ketone levels but would prefer not to subject yourself to invasive blood tests or pee on a stick, the Ketonix is worth your consideration. It’s easy to use, portable, and will tell you if you are in ketosis.
While there are some questions over the connection between exhaled acetone and levels of blood ketones, for most users, this device is more than accurate enough.
The app is easy to use, and you can use it to track your ketones by comparing your latest test to your previous results. This will allow you to measure your keto diet progress and see how certain foods and exercise affect ketone concentrations. You should also see your reading increase first thing in the morning and after fasting, when your body is most reliant on ketones for fuel.
There is an old saying in exercise and economics – if you don’t measure it, you can’t manage it. Measuring your ketones will provide you with valuable information about how your keto diet is going. Using a Ketonix ketone breath analyzer will let you know if your keto diet is working so you can make any necessary changes to get and stay on track. If you aren’t measuring your ketones, you are just guessing.
Ketonix Meter Review
Check out our ratings of ketonix meters- an easy way to monitor ketone levels.
- Ease of Use
- Value for Money