The ketogenic diet is one of the best ways to lose weight and keep it off. On keto, you get to fill up on lots of tasty protein and healthy fats, while keeping your carb intake to 50 grams or less per day. This puts your body into a state called ketosis.
In ketosis, your body preferentially burns fat for fuel. Getting into ketosis can take several days to two weeks, depending on how strictly you follow the keto diet and how active you are. But, needless to say, the sooner you get into ketosis, the sooner you’ll start to see results.
Unfortunately, it’s all too easy to accidentally exit ketosis. You might even think you are in ketosis when, in reality, you are not. You can check your ketone levels using ketone strips or a ketone breath analyzer, but neither of these options is very accurate.
The most reliable way to determine if you are in ketosis is to use a ketone blood monitor. Ketone monitors reveal the ketone concentration in your blood. Keto Mojo is one of the best, most popular ketone blood monitors currently available.
Keto Mojo Review – What is it?
Keto Mojo is a compact, easy to use, handheld ketone blood monitor. It’s ideal for anyone following the keto diet who wants to determine their current level of ketosis accurately. It measures BHB (beta-hydroxybutyrate), which is the most crucial ketone during the ketogenic diet. Other ketone monitors measure levels of acetone, which is not considered a good indicator of ketosis. Breath analyzers only detect acetone, which is why they are not as accurate as blood testers.
In addition to ketones, Keto Mojo can also measure blood glucose levels, making it useful for anyone with diabetes, pre-diabetes, metabolic syndrome, or who simply wants to know their blood glucose levels. Prolonged elevated blood glucose is linked to a host of illnesses and diseases and can also interfere with fat loss.
The device itself is simple to use, and battery-powered. This means you can use it almost anywhere. It comes supplied with everything you need to accurately measure the amount of ketones and glucose in your blood. The unit has a backlight so you can use it even in low light conditions. The backlight turns off after a pre-determined time to save battery power.
Keto Mojo is Bluetooth 4.2 integrated. This allows you to securely connect your monitor to the exclusive app on your phone or tablet for easy result tracking and comparison. The device itself can store the results from 1,000 tests, and all results are time and date-stamped for easy reference. It can also be linked to medical prescription websites for easy adjustment of prescription medication dosage.
According to the manufacturer, Keto Mojo is one of the most precise blood ketone and glucose monitors available, exceeding FDA and international standards for accuracy. It is highly recommended by numerous nutrition and medical experts, including:
- Dominic D’Agostino
- Nasha Winters
- Thomas Syfried
- Miriam Kalamian
- The Diet Doctor
- Andreas Eenfeldt
- Stephen Phinney
Keto Mojo is supplied with everything you need to start testing your ketone and blood glucose levels right away. It’s easy to set up and simple to use. This all-in-one testing kit includes:
- 1 Keto-Mojo Testing Meter
- 1 Lancing Device
- 10 Lancets
- 10 Blood Ketone Testing Strips,
- 10 Blood Glucose Testing Strips
- 1 Ketone Code Chip
- 1 Carrying Case
- 2 Pre-installed AAA Batteries and
- 3 instruction manuals
With only ten testing strips supplied, you’ll need to buy more to maintain a regular testing schedule. Still, these are readily available from the manufacturer. Strips are available in packs of 50 or 100.
How to use it
Unlike going to your doctor’s office for a blood test, using Keto Mojo is fast, cheap, and very easy. The device has only one main button, so it’s simple to use, and the results are displayed all-but instantly. For accuracy, you should follow the manufacturer’s operating instructions, which are available as videos and in the supplied manual. This includes using the ketone code chip to calibrate your device before using it.
The basic instructions for using Keto Mojo are:
- Wash your hands and prep the finger you are going to test by wiping it with an alcohol cleansing pad.
- Insert a sterile (unused) lancet into the lancing device.
- Prime the lancing device.
- Place the lancing device against your sterilized fingertip and push the trigger button. The lancet will pierce your skin.
- Squeeze your finger until a small drop of blood appears.
- Insert a fresh ketone strip into your Keto Mojo device. Transfer the blood drop to the testing end of the strip, and then, in ten seconds, your result will be displayed.
- Dispose of the used lancet and testing strip carefully.
Pros of Keto Mojo
Keto Mojo offers a range of advantages and benefits over other ketone testers. Those advantages and benefits include:
- Very easy to use
- Excellent value
- Kit includes everything you need to start testing your ketone and glucose levels
- Supplied with a neat, compact carry case
- Easy to transport
- Very clear display and easy to interpret results
- Medically accurate
- Results in 10 seconds
- Supplied with comprehensive instruction manuals
- Easy to follow instructional videos on website, YouTube, etc.
- Excellent US-based customer support
- Lifetime warranty
Cons of Keto Mojo
There are lots of reasons to use Keto Mojo, and it can help you with your keto diet journey. However, there are a few disadvantages and drawbacks you should consider before purchasing:
- Kit supplied with only ten testing strips so you’ll need to buy more almost right away
- Ongoing cost of purchasing replacement testing strips and lancets
- Involves self-inflicting a small puncture wound which, while not painful, can be off-putting for some users
- Tests are not always successful the first time, and testing strips are not reusable
While you don’t have to test your ketone levels on a low-carb keto diet, doing so can be very useful. A ketone blood test will confirm you are actually in ketosis, and let you know if your ketone levels are starting to fall, warning you before you exit ketosis. It will also help you determine if you are inadvertently consuming too many carbs.
Keeping an eye on your blood glucose levels can also be beneficial. There is a strong link between blood glucose, ketones, and weight loss – the glucose-ketone index or GKI for short.
Unlike urine strips and ketone breathalyzers, Keto Mojo measures the most important ketone for fat loss, BHB. It’s also a much more accurate method of ketone detection. Of all the ketone blood monitors currently available, Keto Mojo is arguably the most affordable, reliable, and easy to use.
For all your Ketogenic Diet questions and products reviews head to our homepage.
Keto Mojo Review
Keto Mojo offers self, in home testing of your blood levels - an excellent tool to have in your keto kit!
- Ease of Use
- Value for Money