Keto Lean is a weight loss supplement made by the American nutrition company Built by Keto. It’s designed to be used in conjunction with the low-carb ketogenic diet. However, unlike a lot of ketogenic diet products, it contains additional ingredients to enhance fat burning via non-keto pathways too.
This product is sold in 60-capsule bottles, which, at two one-cap servings per day, is a 30-day supply. Keto lean is suitable for vegetarians and vegans as the capsules are made from vegetable cellulose and not gelatin.
What are the Ingredients?
Keto Lean contains five main ingredients. Unfortunately, one of them is not especially useful, even on the ketogenic diet. While this product has keto in its name, and even contains a form of ketones, it is missing the main ingredient needed to make it an authentic keto weight loss product – beta-hydroxybutyrate, or BHB for short.
The ingredients in Keto Lean are:
- Green coffee bean extract – despite its name, green coffee bean extract does not contain caffeine. While there is caffeine in this product, this is not the source. Instead, green coffee bean extract is thought to help lower blood glucose levels, increase insulin sensitivity, and reduce carbohydrate absorption in the digestive tract. Green bean coffee extract comes from coffee beans that have yet to ripen or be roasted.
- Raspberry ketones – when is a ketone not a ketone? When it’s a raspberry ketone! Raspberry ketones and BHB ketones are not the same. Where your body can use BHB ketones for energy, and a host of other keto-related functions, raspberry ketones do not have the same effects. Unfortunately, this ingredient won’t help you lose weight faster, and nor is it beneficial on keto.
- Garcinia cambogia – extracted from the Indonesian fruit Garcinia gummi-gutta, this substance is thought to prevent the formation of new fat cells, reduce your appetite, and prevent the accumulation of belly fat. It’s high in hydroxy citric acid, HCA for short, which is a tried and tested ingredient that features in many fat burners, thermogenics, and weight loss supplements.
- Caffeine anhydrous – caffeine anhydrous is dried, extracted caffeine. Keto Lean contains 130 mg of caffeine anhydrous per serving, which is about the same amount as a strong cup of coffee. Caffeine is an effective energizer and can also increase your metabolic rate. On the downside, this popular stimulant can lead to anxiety, muscle tremors, and sleeplessness, especially if used in excess.
- Green tea – green tea contains several proven fat-fighting compounds, including EGCG, caffeine, and catechins. It’s also high in health-friendly polyphenols. Green tea and green tea extract are very popular weight loss supplements, and that’s because they have been shown to work. Keto Lean contains 130 mg of green tea.
- Cellulose – the final ingredient in Keto Lean is cellulose. This is a vegetable fiber used to make sure veggie-friendly capsules. Cellulose is an inert substance and does not affect the fat-burning properties of this supplement.
How Does it Work?
Unlike most keto-diet products, Keto Lean will not get you into ketosis faster, help alleviate any of your keto flu symptoms, or put you into a deeper ketogenic state. The raspberry ketones it contains are virtually inert, and while they are what gives this product its keto name, don’t have much to do with the ketogenic diet.
However, the other ingredients may have the following effects:
More energy – caffeine, which is supplied by the caffeine anhydrous and green tea, is a proven energizer. If the keto diet has left you feeling tired, caffeine may help. However, if you also drink a lot of coffee, tea, or cola, you may find that taking a caffeinated supplement causes some unwanted side effects, such as insomnia.
Less hunger – hunger can derail any diet. While keto is one of the best diets for avoiding hunger, it can still happen. Keto Lean contains several ingredients that may help prevent hunger and cravings, both of which are often the result of unstable blood glucose levels.
Increased metabolic rate – your metabolism is the number of calories you burn per day at rest, including while you are asleep. Keto Lean may increase your metabolic rate, so you burn more calories per day. At rest, most of these extra calories will be in the form of fat.
This combination of effects may help you lose weight faster, but what this supplement won’t do is get you into ketosis more quickly. Unfortunately, that is one of the claims on the label.
How to Use it Properly
To get the most from any weight loss supplement, you should use it in accordance with the manufacturer’s instructions. In this instance, that means taking one capsule twice a day 20-30 minutes before meals and with an 8 oz. glass of water, or as directed by a healthcare professional.
However, because of Keto Lean’s high caffeine content, you should avoid taking this product too close to bedtime because it could stop you from sleeping. Ideally, you should take your last dose about four hours before going to bed.
Keto Lean is made from natural ingredients, so side effects should be few and far between. That said, because it contains several active ingredients, it could cause unwanted side effects in some sensitive individuals.
Possible side effects of Keto Lean include:
- Frequent urination
- Stomach upsets
- Increased heart rate
- Increased blood pressure
- Stomach upsets and diarrhea
Users experiencing unwanted side effects should reduce their dose to just one capsule per day, and cut down on general caffeine consumption as caffeine overdose is the most likely cause of issues with this supplement.
Pros and cons of Keto Lean
Like any weight loss supplement, Keto Lean has pros and cons. Consider the following before buying or using this product:
- Contains several proven ingredients
- Easy and convenient to use
- Should increase your energy levels
- May increase your metabolism, leading to fat loss
- May reduce your appetite
- Can be used alongside any diet
- High caffeine content may be problematic for some users
- Will NOT enhance any aspect of the ketogenic diet
- Not suitable for pregnant or nursing mothers, children under the age of 18, or individuals with existing medical conditions
In the main, the pros outweigh the cons but, if you are a keto dieter looking for a supplement that will help you overcome the dreaded keto flu or get you into ketosis faster, this is NOT the product for you. Raspberry ketones are not the same as the ketones your body produces during low-carb ketosis. Those are BHB ketones. You are not a raspberry!
Keto Lean might have the word keto in its name, but that doesn’t make it a ketogenic diet product. It contains raspberry ketones, which are not a beneficial ingredient, even for low-carb dieters. In fact, they’re all but inert. That said, Keto Lean DOES contain some beneficial substances, so it’s not a complete write-off. Caffeine, garcinia cambogia, green tea, and green coffee bean extract are all useful weight loss compounds, although their benefits do not include boosting the effect of the ketogenic diet.
The most effective ketogenic diet supplements contain BHB ketones, as those are what your body produces during dietary ketosis. Your body recognizes BHB ketones as natural and can use them for energy. The presence of BHB ketones also increases natural ketone production, which can help get you into ketosis faster, and with fewer ketogenic diet flu-like symptoms. Raspberry ketones have none of these effects.
If you are looking for a general weight loss product that might increase your metabolic rate, give you energy, and ward off hunger, Keto Lean could help. But, if you want a supplement specifically to make your keto diet more comfortable and effective, this is NOT the product for you.
Choosing the right keto supplement for your diet is easy with our detailed review & ratings.
Value for Money